This week’s Covid Crusher is the Providence 2-on-1 drill, designed by Tim Taylor
During these challenging times, the people at Hockey Coach Vision have recognized that coaches need to be innovative when structuring their practices. This allows them to get the most out of the limited ice time they have, as well as work with smaller groups. A group of their more experienced coaches have put together a selection of hockey drills they call the “Covid Crusher” package.
The Providence 2-on-1 drill comes courtesy of Tim Taylor, certified USA Hockey Youth Development Coach and longtime coach and coach mentor.
- Continuous 2 on 1 with backcheckers
- Nets are placed against the boards. The coach blows the whistle after a shot attempt, and new attackers start a rush
- The previous attackers must touch the goalposts, and then backcheck to face the new attackers
- After the next shot attempt, the backcheckers return to the line
- This hockey drill runs continuously
- Keep score
- Focus is on passing with feet moving
- High-compete level
- Works on scoring by deception
- Develops good backchecking habits
- Opens up for shots on the forehand
- Attack-Backcheck (defend)-Rest
Note: The Hockey Coach Vision “Covid Crusher” packages are completely free for all players and coaches. They can be downloaded on their HCV app which is available at their website: hockeycoachvision.com.
About Hockey Coach Vision…
Hockey Coach Vision is an application used by hockey coaches that allows them to digitize drills and tactics in animated 3D, which can then be shared. The app works on Mac or PC, as well as on iPad and Android tablets. This powerful coaching tool enables hockey coaches to design virtually any game situation. It uses animated 3D, so that coaches can view all their plays using various 3D perspectives. Your drills can be shared with your players and assistant coaches. PDFs can be generated to keep everyone in the loop with your practice plan. Monthly plans can be created by placing your practice packages and notes into your calendar. Manage your team and use it within every aspect of your practice plans. Use video or picture recordings to store a play, analysis, drill, technique, etc.
Coaches: If there’s a specific area you’d like to see covered, feel free to post your comment in the area below and we’ll do our best to include it. Look for a new hockey drill from HCV here soon!
CrossIceHockey.com is reader supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more.