Featured this week is the Covid Carousel hockey drill, designed by NHL skills coach Rob Sedia
During these challenging times, the people at Hockey Coach Vision have recognized that coaches need to be innovative when structuring their practices. This allows them to get the most out of the limited ice time they have, as well as work with smaller groups. A group of their more experienced coaches have put together a selection of hockey drills they call the “Covid Crusher” package.
This drill comes courtesy of Rob Sedia, Owner/Head Coach of the NewEdge Hockey Academy in Rochester, N.Y. Sedia is a professional hockey trainer, scout, and NHL skills coach.
- Player 1 passes to Player 2, who passes to P3 who then passes quickly back to P1.
- P2 and P3 start to rotate as P1 passes back to P2.
- P2 then passes quickly to P3, who rotates out to the high slot for a one timer or quick wrist shot.
- After P3 shoots, all other players rotate their positions as shown.
- Quick tape-to-tape passing with one-touch passing preferred.
- Player puts the pass where the other player can shoot it. Aim for their forward skate so the player can step into the shot.
- After a couple rounds, switch sides and run the drill the other way.
Note: The Hockey Coach Vision “Covid Crusher” packages are completely free for all players and coaches. They can be downloaded on their HCV app which is available at their website: hockeycoachvision.com.
About Hockey Coach Vision…
Hockey Coach Vision is an application used by hockey coaches that allows them to digitize drills and tactics in animated 3D, which can then be shared. The app works on Mac or PC, as well as on iPad and Android tablets. This powerful coaching tool enables hockey coaches to design virtually any game situation. It uses animated 3D, so that coaches can view all their plays using various 3D perspectives. Your drills can be shared with your players and assistant coaches. PDFs can be generated to keep everyone in the loop with your practice plan. Monthly plans can be created by placing your practice packages and notes into your calendar. Manage your team and use it within every aspect of your practice plans. Use video or picture recordings to store a play, analysis, drill, technique, etc.
Coaches: If there’s a specific area you’d like to see covered, feel free to post your comment in the area below and we’ll do our best to include it. Look for a new hockey drill from HCV here soon!
CrossIceHockey.com is reader supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more.