This week we focus on the Penalty Kill Defender Crossfire drill, courtesy of Hockey Coach Vision
The Penalty Kill Defender Crossfire drill is a great way to practice good body positioning and active stick work on the PK.
- Set up with 3 attackers on both sides of the end zone, with 3 defenders down the middle
- The attackers try to maintain puck control and make as many cross-ice passes as possible through the defenders
- One defender tries to force the puck carrier to limit their time and space, and force passes into tight areas. The other two defenders position themselves to cut off cross-ice passes.
- Defenders may rotate in a new active defender when the original defender rotates out to the middle area
- Gets players to read the attackers and adjust their positioning, to take away passing lanes with good body positioning and active sticks
- Encourages more communication on the offensive and defensive side of the puck
- Teaches players to aggressively attack the puck. Players on the power play move the puck quickly.
About Hockey Coach Vision…
Hockey Coach Vision is an application used by hockey coaches that allows them to digitize drills and tactics in animated 3D, which can then be shared. The app works on Mac or PC, as well as on iPad and Android tablets. This powerful coaching tool enables hockey coaches to design virtually any game situation. It uses animated 3D, so that coaches can view all their plays using various 3D perspectives. Your drills can be shared with your players and assistant coaches. PDFs can be generated to keep everyone in the loop with your practice plan. Monthly plans can be created by placing your practice packages and notes into your calendar. Manage your team and use it within every aspect of your practice plans. Use video or picture recordings to store a play, analysis, drill, technique, etc.
Coaches: If there’s a specific area you’d like to see covered, feel free to post your comment in the area below and we’ll do our best to include it. Look for a new hockey drill from HCV here soon!
CrossIceHockey.com is reader supported. When you buy via the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more.