Defensive Drill: Gretzky Behind the Net hockey tactics
The experts at Hockey Coach Vision are back! This time the focus is on the Gretzky Behind the Net defensive drill.
This defensive drill works on passing and playmaking skills from behind the net. It’s a challenging net-front coverage drill for defenders.
- One forward must always be below the goal line
- The two defenders play tight “man on-man” on the other two forwards
- Great game to simulate behind-the-net cycle plays
- Forwards should vary their positions to force defenders to make switches in their coverage, as each forward alternates from the front of the net to the low position
- In this defensive drill, defenders need to read the play and communicate switches with their partner
About Hockey Coach Vision…
Hockey Coach Vision is an application used by hockey coaches that allows them to digitize drills and tactics in animated 3D, which can then be shared. The app works on Mac or PC, as well as on iPad and Android tablets. This powerful coaching tool enables hockey coaches to design virtually any game situation. It uses animated 3D, so that coaches can view all their plays using various 3D perspectives. Your drills can be shared with your players and assistant coaches. PDFs can be generated to keep everyone in the loop with your practice plan. Monthly plans can be created by placing your practice packages and notes into your calendar. Manage your team and use it within every aspect of your practice plans. Use video or picture recordings to store a play, analysis, drill, technique, etc.
Coaches: If there’s a specific area you’d like to see covered, feel free to post your comment in the area below and we’ll do our best to include it. Look for a new hockey drill from HCV here soon!